Welcome to Union East Elementary
Union East Elementary School
3550 Union Road, Cheektowaga, NY 14225
Mrs. Melissa Mitchell, Principal
Mrs. Julia Hamels, Assistant Principal
Visitors: At this time, visitors will not be allowed access into the Union East building without prior approval.
Union East Elementary School Comprehensive Education Plan (SCEP) approved by the Board of Education on December 8, 2020.
COVID-19 Surveillance Testing Program
Our district will be participating in the Erie County Department of Health’s (ECDOH) Proximal and Surveillance Testing Program. Surveillance testing is not new to our district but the addition of testing, test collection and the addition of proximal testing - is new.
- Voluntary Surveillance Testing is part of a layered “mitigation strategy” designed to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This testing program will test approximately 10% of those for whom consent has been received weekly. Participation in this program is strongly encouraged and completely voluntary. It involves a self-collected oral swab which is done just inside of the person's cheek. This will be done with a healthcare professional, provided to the district by the Erie County Department of Health.
- Proximal Testing is also voluntary and is for those who are in the same airspace as an infected individual but is for those who are not considered to be a close contact. This type of contact is considered “proximal”. Proximal contacts are not subject to quarantine, unless they are symptomatic.
Fully vaccinated individuals can participate in both types of testing and we urge you to consider having your child or children participate in these programs. We are urging your participation in this voluntary program in an effort to continue in-person learning experiences, while ensuring the safety of students, faculty and staff by reducing the risks of COVID-19 disease transmission in the school setting.
Read more about the Cheektowaga Central School District COVID-19 Surveillance Testing Program.
Mental Health Month
STEAM Learning: Are you interested in having your 3rd or 4th grade child participate in a 21st Century STEAM-based learning experience? The criteria for participation includes:
- Creative behaviors
- Collaboration/skills to work with others productively
- Critical Thinking/problem solving
- Responsibility/ability to work in and with a variety of settings and technology
- Flexibility/open minded
If you believe your child will do well in this environment, complete the survey. Survey Link